A smarti's guide to Calcified Fragments Oct 1, 2015 13:43:07 GMT -5
Post by wittyscorpion on Oct 1, 2015 13:43:07 GMT -5
Calcified Fragments, mysterious and at first confusing. What are they for, and how to get them?
There are plenty of guides out on the Internet to provide details on how to get each one, but none of them seem to be doing a good job of providing a big picture in "TL;DR" sense. The goal of this guide is to provide just that, and complement other information you find on the web.
I'll try to keep this post short and right to the point, with links to the details once you have gotten the big picture.
What are Calcified Fragments, and why do I care?
In a nutshell, Calcified Fragments are important if:
1) you are an explorer and love to free roam around and find easter eggs;
2) you like to solve puzzles;
3) you are in a friendly competition with friends on highest grimoire score;
3) you want to get one of the best exotic weapon in the game, Touch of Malice; (Let's face it, most people are in this category )
If none of the above appeal to you, you can stop reading now
Calcified Fragments: quick facts
If you got this far, we have established that you do care about Calcified Fragments (CF from this point on). Now, let's look at some quick facts:
1) There are 50 CFs total to be found;
2) Each character has its own CF count tracking: go to Directory (i.e. the map of the galaxy), click Dreadnaught, and you'll see how many you have found so far on that character (just like how you can see the number of gold chests found on each planet);
3) The first time you found a CF on any of your character, you will unlock the corresponding grimoire card and earn grimoire score;
4) Each CF unlocks a designated grimoire card, and they are number 1 - 50 in Roman Numerals (a lookup table for R-N challenged bros like me ). The 50 cards together form "the Book of Sorrow" short story under "Enemies" directory, interesting read;
5) Bungie.net and destrinytracker.com CF checklist can give you what grimoire cards you have unlocked, which you can infer on what CFs you have found and then what CFs you have yet to find (Caveat: this is at account level, not at the character level, which can introduce chaos if you are not careful. More in the tips section below).
EDIT: the best web site to track what you have and tell you where to find the ones you don't have, is destinycalcifiedfragments.com/
1) DO NOT hunt CFs on multiple characters simultaneously!
This is the most important tip I can give you. Why? because if you violate this rule, you'll have no easy way to track which CF you have found and which you have not by character. That would be painful if you want to get Touch of Malice, which requires you to find 45 CFs on one character.
2) If you do see CFs when playing on your alternates, don't pick them up unless you are sure that you already did on your primary (which you can find easily by looking up your grimoire cards, provided that you have been strictly following this rule).
3) When you get a mysterious object (e.g.: Agonauch Rune, Wormsinger Rune, Skyburner Beacon), don't "accidentally" use them. Instead, look up the instructions online first.
That's it, not much to it, but very important
Details on how to acquire each one
Text guide from IGN: www.ign.com/wikis/destiny/Calcified_Fragments
Video guide from Datto: part 1, part 2
The problem with the above guide is that you have to go through the whole thing to know what you need. Luckily, I have done that . So below are the key points:
- Normal dreadnaught patrol can give you CF 1 - 23, except for CF 18. Follow Datto's part 1 video to get all of these (or if you want to find them all on your own, jump in blind and just explore);
The rest requires (see Datto's part 2 video for details, some of them require you to get a special items to initiate)
- Story mission Regicide: 24, 25, 18, 27
- Sunless Cell Strike: 26
- Shield Brothers: 28
- Raid: 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
- Patrol - scent of worm: 34
- Patrol - "killer" chest: 35
- Patrol - Agonarch Rune: 36
- Patrol - Skyburner event (requires Skyburner Command Beacon): 37
- Patrol - Wormsinger Rune: 38
- Tier 2 Court of Oryx boss kills (Stolen Rune): 39, 40, 41, 42
- Complete first Nightfall: 46
- Tier 3 Court of Oryx boss - Thalnok (you must be the one placing Antiquated Rune): 47
- Tier 3 Court of Oryx boss - Balwûr (you must be the one placing Antiquated Rune): 48
- Tier 3 Court of Oryx boss - Kagoor (you must be the one placing Antiquated Rune): 49
- Random court of Oryx bounty chain: 50
Still unknown to community how to acquire (check IGN's text guide from time to time. I will also try to update this thread):
- 43, 44, 45
The Crown Jewel: Touch of Malice
All of these hard work will eventually lead you to the ScoutR Touch of Malice. People who own it speak very highly about its awesome power, so, get it
Datto's video on the exact steps: