Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered May 6, 2016 4:48:20 GMT -5
Post by wings on May 6, 2016 4:48:20 GMT -5
I'm guessing Lexapro's key word is "essentially". Sure you can do old content but it means:
1. Year 2 legendary armour is only available to be used by those who have purchased The Taken King, year 1 legendary armour received an epic nerf to their ability cooldowns. I'm surprised how little criticism this received considering how this makes PvP 'unbalanced'. Blue armour is nowhere near good enough for ability cooldowns. Yet people single out Thorn for the "if you don't have one, you can't compete" argument, even though The Last Word was better for many maps and Thorn was overused to an extent because of the Trials meta's importance in keeping opponents' shields/health from regenerating. This is partly the reason why it's a rare sight to be killed by a special weapon that isn't a sniper rifle.
2. During The Dark Below and House of Wolves, if a DLC strike appears as the Nightfall and Weekly Heroic strike, there is no alternative for someone without the DLC. Most shooters have DLC in separate rotations.
3. Xur would not have his inventory expanded upon each DLC instalment either. So during The Dark Below, if you didn't have the DLC just yet you were out of luck, especially on the first week as every armour and weapon being sold by the special vendor required The Dark Below. I made a suggestion many moons ago that each instalment could expand Xur's inventory by one row so nobody is locked out. Bungie actually half-addressed this at one point where they changed it so the Nightfall was a different strike to the Weekly Heroic and, if the Nightfall was a DLC strike, then the Weekly Heroic wasn't.
4. I suspect players with only the vanilla Destiny can only get exotics via the Vault of Glass and Crota's End unless they rely on Xur for legacy exotic engrams, which cost a lot of Strange Coins (31 last I checked).
5. Wearing year 1 legendary armour means if an engram drops from an enemy, there's a good chance it will be a green engram instead of at least a blue engram. This happened to me when I wanted to mess around in the Cosmodrome wearing full Vault of Gear armour with my Warlock. It's impractical to use it in PvP because Bungie uses a pretty strict SBMM algorithm, so I'll be feeding the enemy team easy kills if my setup is not 'try-hard' enough. This is also an issue generally with Gunsmith weapons and Shaxx bounties that require the use of suboptimal gear most of the time.
6. Not sure if this still applies, but the chests in the legacy Prison of Elders playlists were not rewarding anything. Had this been current content, this would have been patched far, far sooner. That said, you can no longer buy the weapons and armour from Variks, so I'll make sure I will never dismantle my Shadow of Veils so I can take it out for a spin in the Crucible once in a while. If this hasn't been patched I believe it is forthcoming.
I suspect many players find Destiny's DLC structure more acceptable if the updates were larger and less frequent like in other games.
Edit: Actually even the patrol missions that require you to enter a private phase to kill specific stuff, like Karrhis in The Breach (via The Divide) renders year 1 weapons very weak because these are at a higher light level than the enemies that are out in the open in patrol.